Into the Shadow
The Spellplague is a malady that struck on 29th Tarsakh, 1385 DR and was caused by Mystra’s assassination at the hands of Cyric and Shar. With the goddess’s death, the Weave, the universal structure of arcane forces, convulsed. It continued for a decade, leading to the Wailing Years, during which time arcane magic ceased to function and the planet of Toril was transformed.
Effects of the Spellplague
On Magic and Living Beings
- Thousands of mages were either destroyed or went insane due to the collapse of the Weave after Mystra’s death. In Cormyr, a third of the War Wizards were either killed or driven mad. Those who survived were forced to learn martial combat as a result of the disappearance of arcane magic.
- Many creatures now bear Spellscars.
- Most permanent magical items, such as artifacts, were left intact at the end of the Spellplague and charged magical items were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function. Items with dormant magical qualities, which were manually activated, were largely unaffected by the Spellplague.
- Magical portals are highly unstable and unreliable as they relied on the Weave to transport users from place to place.
On the Landscape
- The Spellplague affected the landscape, making the ground rumble and heave up and down like the surface of the sea. Curtains of blue flame swept the landscape, reshaping the land by cutting crevasses or lifting and sculpting the plain into hills and ridges.
- Earthmotes broke free from the land in some areas and now hang suspended in the air. Some are small, some are large enough to hold small settlements.
- Parts of Abeir and Toril switched planes, swapping Maztica and the continent of Laerakond, which is now known as “Returned Abeir.”
- Mulhorand was completely destroyed, and the Mulhorandi pantheon disappeared. The land was later settled by Deep Imaskari and became the empire of High Imaskar.
- Unther was obliterated when a fragment of the dragonborn nation of Tymanchebar was transplanted from Abeir onto it, eventually becoming the realm of Tymanther.
- Chult became a large island.
- Halruaa was destroyed and turned into a land full of rampant spellplague.
- The Shaar became a wasteland called the Shaar Desolation.
- The region surrounding the Great Rift collapsed into the Underdark, creating an enormous cataract in the earth called the Underchasm.
- The halfling realm of Luiren was completely submerged underwater, becoming the Gulf of Luiren in the Great Sea.
- Lantan was hit by massive waves and flooded, killing all of its inhabitants. However the nation had resource camps in other locations, namely Chult, so not all Lantanese citizens and technology may have perished along with the actual island.
- The peninsula known as Var the Golden becomes a region of the Great Sea called Var the Drowned.